Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
Just after Christmas my mom was kind enough to gift us her brand new Instant Pot because she wanted a bigger one. I had my eye on one for some time so I took it without a second thought! But then I had no clue what to do with it. I ended up bulk cooking brown rice for meal prep a few times, but that was the extent of it.
With Fall in the air and kids activities in full force, we found ourselves hungry for comfort food without time to make it. So we researched how to use our dust collecting Instant Pot, turned to Pinterest to find a few recipes we could tweak to fit our health and fitness goals and we gave it a go with Chicken Teriyaki.
To our surprise it turned out amazing! The chicken tender, brown rice perfectly cooked, and the vegetables not over done at all. Im not so sure why we were surprised, other than the fact that it was really quite simple and fast! Im officially sold on Instant Pot cooking!!
So instead of boring you with more details, let’s get to that recipe…
Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1-1/2 Tablespoon dry sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch or corn starch
For the Rice and Chicken:
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil or olive oil
- 36oz boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked Jasmine brown rice, rinsed and drained thoroughly
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Chopped green onions for garnish, optional
Open the lid of the Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button, allow to preheat for a few minutes until you hear a beep.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the aminos, vinegar, honey, and sherry.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame or olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until lightly brown. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 20 seconds. Pour in half (1/2) of the sauce, the uncooked rice and 1 cup of water.
Place the lid on, and lock it, setting the valve to sealing.
Press MANUAL (old model) high pressure or PRESSURE COOK (high) and set for 8 minutes.
Once the 8 minutes is up and the Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid carefully and press the SAUTE button. Add the bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli. Whisk the arrowroot/cornstarch slurry together with the reserved amount of sauce and drizzle into Instant Pot . Cook until vegetables are tender.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired. Serve hot.
Divide into 6 even portions. ENJOY
For our Fit U Clients we counted this as 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1tsp; if adding sesame seeds use your orange container and count that accordingly!